Saturday, August 10, 2013

Aw, I missed Summer

This summer has  been a summer of firsts for me. No, not like that. Pervs. This summer I had the privilege of teaching summer school for the Pewaukee School District. I pretty much had to make up the curriculum as I went (which I am pretty much making a career of) and a couple of the supplies that I had asked about in the interview (namely a SMARTboard or projector) weren't in the room when classes started. I don't blame the summer school principals, mind you, as they are teachers at the Middle and Elementary schools and those schools do have the interactive computer board tech in every room. And they were extremely helpful in answering all of my questions in a timely fashion. I should probably send them a thank you card or gift or something.

The students were also incredibly awesome. Like, I forgot what students who don't come to every class high (if they show up at all) are like. And...I think they learned stuff! I almost wish I had more time with them so I could really get into certain things (like Shakespeare, which we skimmed).

The only downside really is that summer school last from about three days after my school year ended and went until the end of July, which is when the cool front settled in on Southeast Wisconsin. So, yeah, as the title implies, I kind of feel like I missed summer. Still, great experience and something that I hope to repeat.

It's also my first summer in this apartment, which is nice. It's quiet most of the time. Except that we live in the pet-approved apartments (though I've noticed a suspiciously large number of cat toys and paraphernalia in non-pet units) and some dog owners don't know how to keep their pooch quiet during the day.

It's also my first summer owning a dog, which, aside from his occasional barky or stubborny days, is also pretty enjoyable. I have a 16-month old Daschund/Cattle Dog mix named Willy (he is pretty adorable and I will be posting pictures later).

However, it's the first summer since I graduated that I have yet to have a single interview (even if the others never really came to anything, it was nice to know that, at least on paper, I had been considered a viable candidate). It is also the first summer since 2007 that I haven't attended Wizard's Chicago Comic-Con, which kinda really sucks. But, I need to save for that wedding thing Kelly and I want to have.

My goal is to have an Amazon draft of Project Zero: Bulletproof done some time in the near future (I know, I said it before), but I actually started work on it (I swear!). I wonder if I could Kickstart enough to self-publish the first book. It is three years old now, so I don't think the demand would be there.

In the meantime, I'm sitting on the balcony overlooking a YMCA parking lot and, I swear, I just listened to a five-plus minute conversation that consisted of nothing but, "Naw, bro..."

Ah, summer time...

No comments:

Post a Comment